I’ve been quite busy the past few weeks. My wife and I had been pondering since ages ago to update our floor to some nice hardwood, since we have plenty of time on our hands now. I have a few new posts on hold, just waiting for a quick few edits, but hopefully will be publishing them soon!
In the mean time, check out what I’m doing!
About half of the house had this old, ugly vinyl flooring. I like to call this floorpaper! Anyways, it all has to go out. This particular picture above was from the half bath and was very easy to remove.
As you can see, the vinyl wasn’t even attached properly, leaving a smooth clean cement underneath. Since all our subfloor is concrete, I chose engineered hardwood which is rated for concrete floors. In addition, an underlayment padding is added for floating installations.
This brief before and sorta-after shows what I mentioned previously. The flooring can’t be installed on bare concrete. That’s why the underlayment is place first. You can see it in the picture below, it looks like a dark rug. This helps absorb moisture, reduce sound, and better layout for the floor due to any small leveling issues of the concrete subfloor.
So based on the pictures so far, it doesn’t look like much. But there is a lot of pre-work needed before putting the engineered hardwood. The concrete had many small holes that needed patching, and a lot of the vinyl left a sticky, gluey floor that needed to be cleaned…
So whenever this project gets finished, I’ll update with some more pictures!
Update 2 Weeks later:
Doesn’t seem like much, but 2 weeks have passed since I originally wrote about this. A bit of progress since then, the living room/dining area is mostly complete, as well as the hallway leading to the bedrooms and the mudroom closets.
The above pictures show the process when reaching the hallway. Since the board finished halfway lengthwise, it needs to be cut in an L shape. This wasn’t too hard, but I find it satisfying to get those cuts right on the first try.
I used the square (triangle shaped tool, called a square…) for getting the measurements needed for the cuts.
Some quarter rounds are still needed to fill in the gaps between the baseboards, but those I’ll leave for the end when all is done.
It finally took me about 2 months to finish. Check out the lessons learned for some handy tips if you have plans on remodeling your floors.
Till next time!